Destination Weddings Santa Fe style
Words by Special Features Editor Linda Blamer
Start planning now to put more “destination” into your destination wedding
Destination weddings are fantastic! But, if you want to make your destination wedding something special, you will need to find a location that offers activities in and around the venue. Millennials want to shake things up and get all their guests, their wedding party and immediate family a laundry list of activities to make that three or five-day destination wedding something truly memorable.
I can only tell you about our experience here in Santa Fe, NM. The first thing you should know is that Santa Fe has received numerous accolades from many different and independent magazines. Everything from being the 6th friendliest city in the US to the 10th best US city for shopping. Yes, Santa Fe was selected by many magazines for weddings and honeymoons, but look beyond the obvious when picking a town or area. The objective here is to give your guests a handful of different activities, restaurants, museums, and other cultural locations beyond what the wedding itself will offer.
Here is what we tell our guests looking for activities here and around Santa Fe and Blame Her Ranch:
- Historic Santa Fe Plaza – Visit the hundreds of shops and world-renown restaurants to enjoy.
- Galleries and Museums – Santa Fe offers over 200 galleries and museums with world-renown artists from O’Keeffe and Remington.
- Fly Fishing – Within a half-hour drive from the ranch, there is champion fly fishing directly on the Pecos River. Even beginners can pull an 18-inch rainbow trout out of these friendly waters.
- Opera – Santa Fe’s outdoor opera house is known throughout the Country for its summer night operas and fun tailgate parties.
- Snow Skiing – While most of our weddings are in the Spring and Summer, the town of Santa Fe offers skiing that is both convenient and lots of fun.
- Hot Air Ballooning – All over the world, Santa Fe is known for its hot air ballooning. We offer many professionals that will take you “up up and away”.
- Las Vegas – style gambling and casinos offer a great afternoon or evening of fun.
- River Rafting – Take the whole family, wedding party, or selected guests on a four-hour rafting trip down the Rio Grande River.
- Alpine Hiking – Santa Fe is at approximately a 7,000-foot elevation that has hundreds of hiking trails throughout the Pecos wilderness, only 20 minutes from the ranch.
- Birding – With the right guide, bird watching both at our ranch and throughout the Santa Fe National Forest is a surprising and educational activity.
- Wilderness Adventures – 4×4 excursions for groups of six to eight through the many trails within the Santa Fe National Forest.
- Mountain Biking – We offer both mountain and electric bike excursions throughout the ranch and adjacent acres.
- Spa day – There are several world-renown spas in Santa Fe, but for a personal touch, have private massage therapists come to the ranch and take advantage of our cauldron hot tub, dry sauna, and a lap pool for couples or groups.
- Horseback riding – You better have horses if you own a ranch. Local ranchers help us offer group rides on the ranch and beyond.
- Skeet shooting – Shotguns and weddings are not known to be a great combination, but those staying at the ranch can obtain professional services that help even the novice shooter succeed. “We just ask that you don’t shoot skeet on the day of the wedding. Remember, it’s not a shotgun wedding!”
While we believe Blame Her Ranch speaks for itself with its accommodations, venues, and breathtaking views, without offering the many items above, we would be just another mountain wedding venue. We hope you will take a closer look at our ranch, but more importantly, when you have your destination wedding, make sure to understand what the area or location offers within at least an hour’s drive.
By Linda Blamer
Co-Owner of Blame Her Ranch, Santa Fe, NM
Selected BEST VENUE IN AMERICA by DWHA Magazine